Monday, March 22, 2010

Lamp Makeover

I bought this small lamp at good ol' Walmart for 10 bucks with means to make it cuter... I wanted it black & cream so I spray painted the base black...
I put tin foil around the cord so I wouldn't get paint on it...
my original idea was to put some type of trim around the edges and cover the shade with small black flowers, in kinda a polka dot pattern... but I went to Roberts Arts & Crafts and they didn't have the trim, or the flowers I wanted... I was impatient and wanted to get the lamp done so I decided I would just paint it... I figured worse case it wouldn't work and I would go buy a new lamp shade... so I grabbed some painters tape and taped everything but the trim that was already on it...

I cut little pieces of tape to put on the top... I would also cover the entire inside of the lamp shade... I only went down this far and some paint did get on the inside... but you can't tell so it's fine...
This is how it looked all taped up, you have to tape very, very carefully!!! and press it down really good!!! Obviously any small spot that's not taped good will get painted!!
Then I just spray painted it black... when painting keep your spray angle straight on, if you go to the side you risk getting paint under the tape... I also did about 4 or 5 layers each, all pretty thin, I didn't want to get it too thick in risk it bleeding under the tape... I did have to muster up some patience for this I like quick easy projects... and to see a fast results I was tempted to spray it on thick and hurry and peel the tape off... but I held back... it drys fast though...
...And for the finished project!!!
I let it dry completely then pulled off the tape... I had a couple booboo spots but I just made sure they're turned toward the back... ha ha, trial & error...
I love how it turned out, and I like it plane too I don't plan on adding any little flowers to the shade... the room is pretty busy so I think it needs to stay simple! Total cost of project $11 pretty sweet!!!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

AWESOME! LOVING this lamp! :) I like it much better with out the flowers! It looks way more expensive then 11 dollars! :)

GOOD JOB!!!!