Monday, September 20, 2010

[Secret Potions]





So I pulled out the Halloween Decor a little early this year, I know some of you already have yours up, but I usually wait until October 1stish... to get mine out, but I figured we'll be out of town for a week in October so why not pull it out a week or so early.... anyhoooo, so far this is what I've done... 
It all started with my cute pumpkin and spider... then I played around for a while with different arrangements.... {around my pumpkin}


I bought a couple bags of {skulls} at the good ol' dollar store, the black candle holders I bought a couple years ago at d.i. and spray painted them black... the bags of skulls I put into a jar I had layen around, they look super CreEpY!!!

I also bought some old vases at d.i. for about $0.50 each...  and turned them into [potions]
To decorate the 'vases' I wrapped some twine around the tops...
I printed of some {potion labels} burned the edges, and aged them with ink...
I grabbed some paper clips, beads, and other random stuff and used these to attach the potion labels to the twine....
Then I filled each {vase} with a combination of things... for this one I put in white beans and water... I dumped out the water and left the beans...  (mostly so my kids wouldn't spill the water)
For Spider Venom and Snake oil I used oil & water and food coloring.. it was really quite fun to play around with different colors and combinations of things.... I put in green food coloring, then oil and several drops of yellow food coloring (did not stir) and got this cool red bubble in the middle...., this would be a great activity to do with the kids... they would have a blast adding different things...
Add caption
In the "end" for the {spider venom} I put about 6 of those red hots in the bottom of the vase and then just a little bit of water... (and turned the water green) it looked really cool with the red dots, then when they dissolved the colors still stayed seperated so I have a red layer then a green layer... play around with stuff you have in your kitchen...
I ended with this combination on my table....
.... and this on my shelf... couple of old books {halloween colors} ~ container of skulls ~ and CreEpY potions!!
super fun and SpoOkY... like I said the potion making is a great family activity! Have fun mixing and coming up with the different names for the potions...
Photobucket

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Well Im glad Im not the only one who set up my halloween stuff up early. I LOVE decorating for halloween and I love your ideas. I will have to make me some potion as well. Very very cute and cReEpY!

Kelly said...

p.s. I really really miss having halloween parties with all you guys. This time of year is the hardest for me because we all always got together at our house for a halloween party and christmas party. Hopefully some day we will be able to do it again!

Brittany said...

I LOVE the potion jars! Thats fabulous :))