Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chair Makeover

I bought this OLD rocker a couple years ago, when we went on a trip to Montana, my husband and I went garage sale-ing one day and found this gem at an Estate sale, we threw it in the van and drove it home with us... It was in pretty good shape, and I didn't, at first have to do any fixing up to it.. but over time, my boys slowly got a hold of it... they poked holes in the wicker backing and the seat had come off, it was only being held on by a few tacks anyways.. so needless to say I have since had to fix it up to get it cute again and use-able for the Nursery... so long story short... or not, My friend Meggie was re-doing some chairs that had the same wicker backing and she just covered it in batting and fabric... so I did the same with this chair... this is the back of it. You can see the holes ...
I didn't have any batting so I glued on a couple pieces of fleece...
Then cut out a piece of fabric to fit the size... and hot glued it on too....

I worked from the bottom to the top, glueing along both sides at the same time, working my way down and making sure to clean up all the excess glue, while keeping in pulled tight and flat...

Just keep going till the whole piece of fabric is glued on... then ad the trim... I put dots of glue, rather than a strand, like I did with the fabric...
For the corners I just glued it down then put a dot of glue on top of the trim then turned/folded the trim and kept glueing....

... then kept doting the glue all the way around...

and done!!
BEFORE...
AFTER!! Looks much better, this is super easy cause its just glued on... I also liked just glueing because if I get sick of this look I can just rip it off and do something else...
p.s. you can't tell very well, but the seat that was ripped off was easily put on just using some black tacks, I also "antiqued" it with some black paint... it's adorable now and the nursery is one step closer to being done... all I have to do now is sew her quilt... I still don't know what I want to do for it... I'm now just wanting to get it done, so we'll see how it turns out...